Learn the practical skills needed to successfully perform legal tasks while earning an Associate in Applied Science degree. In our Paralegal and Legal Studies program, you'll not only learn about wills, lawsuits and other legal situations paralegals are involved with, you'll actually gain experience doing the tasks that will be expected of you in those situations.
Become competent in your ability to evaluate cases, conduct client and witness interviews, draft court pleadings and motions, perform legal research, prepare legal documents, manage and organize case files and help attorneys prepare for trials and hearings. Through a law-office internship, you'll gain experience writing wills and drafting lawsuits.
This on-the-job experience along with the advanced coursework ensures that you'll have the skills and knowledge needed to gain employment in a law firm, insurance company or government agency. Many local employers look to Iowa Lakes in order to fulfill their employment needs. When the time comes, you'll be fully prepared to thrive as a paralegal.
Paralegal/Legal Studies Program Outcomes
- Analyze case law and statues to apply legal principles to factual situations.
- Communicate effectively through client interviews and telephone and written correspondence with attorneys, clients, witnesses and court personnel.
- Execute a research plan by locating both print and electronic sources of case law, statues, administrative regulations and constitutional provisions.
- Draft demand letters, pleadings, legal memoranda, and legal forms utilizing appropriate legal theories and applying to factual situations with correct citations.
- Ethically perform the duties of a paralegal.
- Perform law office management functions, such as billing, docketing systems, conflict checks and e-filing court documents.
Online availability: 100%
TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION: Click here
Request a Cost Estimate Worksheet: Click here