Develop the skills needed to pursue a career in early childhood education with our dual-track program. The first eight years of life are extremely important in the emotional, cognitive, social and physical development of a child. That's why early childhood educators need to be well trained, experienced and able to deliver the best quality of care when providing for young people.
Through field experiences in the early childhood setting and a wide variety of coursework options, you'll become confident and competent in your ability to be an early childhood educator. With courses in child growth and development, curriculum planning, childhood guidance, and child health, safety and nutrition, you'll learn a valuable skill-set you can take anywhere. Prepare to broaden your background knowledge in general education and develop an awareness of current issues within the education field.
Whether you want to become a teaching assistant, childcare provider, nanny or an early childhood program director, or transfer to a university, you'll establish the foundational skills and knowledge needed to thrive right here at Iowa Lakes. Practical experience along with the advanced coursework during the second year ensures that you know what to expect when entering the workforce and, even better, that you'll be ready for it.
Early Childhood Education A.A.S. and Diploma Program Outcomes
- PLO #1 Identify appropriate milestones of child development
- PLO #2 Create developmentally appropriate learning environments
- PLO #3 Demonstrate supportive, respectful, reciprocal relationships using knowledge of family systems, culture, and community
- PLO #4 Design responsible assessment to promote positive outcomes to support young children and their families
- PLO #5 Apply effective strategies and learning approaches for early education
- PLO #6 Design plans to implement developmentally appropriate learning opportunities that promote development within all learning domains
- PLO #7 Apply an ethical understanding of the early childhood profession
- PLO #8 Advocate on behalf of young children and their families
TO REQUEST MORE INFORMATION: Click here
Request a Cost Estimate Worksheet: Click here